Friday 24 August 2012

Raya cookies and snakes

As promised I will give an update on the Hari Raya weekend in Penang.
It all started with a bus ride from KL early Saturday morning and I had expected a very bad traffic but the loud Indian bus driver took the old road with less jam so the trip took about 6 hours +, instead of 4 (which was not too bad since I had feared for 10 hours). We arrived in the late afternoon to Mun’s family house where we entered a cooking marathon. The whole family was sitting on the floor in the kitchen rolling sticky rice in bamboo leaves. We spent the evening preparing for the next day and I was admiring the nearly 20 different kinds of homemade cookies..

The next morning we woke up early for the traditional prayer at the Mosque. I followed and watched from outside. The prayer was over within an hour, I was enjoying my time in the shade doing some serious people watching. I had borrowed one of Mun’s sisters Baju Kurung, which is the traditional Malay dress. Its a knee long loose fitting blouse worn over a long shirt. They can be very beautiful and usually for Hari Raya women in the family match the colour or the pattern with each other. I did not match the sisters however, mine was very light green, compared to their red and blue. I wore it to the Mosque and for the rest of the day but not to worry.., I also wore the “modern and sexy” one (which is just a top, not a Baju Kurung) but not until the day after when visiting relatives. For the record, there was no one in the family who gave me a high eyebrow look, for this time I got by smoothly and passed the test =)

After coming back from the Mosque we went for a little road trip with the mother, grandmother and the sisters up to Perlis where grandmother has a house. Perlis is a state up north and we were as close as about 30 km from the Thailand border. The Malay Raya tradition is to visit one another and eat. We had visitors coming over to the house and we also went to see other relatives close by.

Despite the heat and the sun we got some outdoor exercise while helping mother do some cleaning and gardening at a small house she has inherited not far from grandmothers house. The garden (or I should rather say the land) is very big. The house is for now unlivable, the plan is to renovate and rent it. Mun acted farmer boy and sprayed the whole land with weed-killer and I was taken care of all the leaves next to the house. My heart stopped for a second when I saw a large snake curl out of my pile of leaves, clearly I was not wanted as I most have woken him up from his sleep. Luckily he was still in a good mood and made his way away from me and the house.. After that Mun changed his flip flops into proper rubber boots and I could carry on feeling a little bit better..

The last day back in Penang Mun took me to Georgetown to see the wall paintings. We walked for a few hours around town. Photos was shared earlier :)
Back at the house I met Mun’s aunt with family. Turns out that aunt's American husband has Swedish roots. His great grandfather is from Gotland! Once again the world has proven to be very small! 

I had a nice time and I am still enjoying the homemade cookies I got back with me home =)



No comments:

Post a Comment